Friday, August 13, 2010

First Post .. Here we go

It's been way too long since I've written one of these. I don't even know where to start.
So let's start with the basics.
Around May of this year my mother was diagnosed with TNBC [triple negative breast cancer]. Since that day,my life hasn't been the same. I walked the stage and graduated to the next chapter of my life, being a college student, just weeks after receiving the news. Never in a million years would I have pictured my graduation day with me carrying the thoughts that I carried. I also didn't imagine me staying so close to home my first year for college , but that's what's so funny about God. He likes to take the plans I make for myself and laugh , then show me how much better his plan is for me. Staying close by has proven to be just what I need right now.
The day after graduation I hit the ground running. I drove up to Camp Tejas in Giddings ,Texas to be a camp counselor. I worked up at the camp for about a month , then came home and we started taking care of mom. First step was receiving a double mastectomy. Even the day after surgery the woman was as joyful as could be. As she was healing from that surgery we went to an appointment with her oncologist where she was told on top of the surgery , she would need to receive chemotherapy. She didn't even fully recover from her first surgery before they cut her open again to insert her port , which is where she receives chemo. At the end of last month mom had her first chemo treatment . I knew chemo wasn't good , but I never imagined it to be so horrible. Mom didn't take the first round of chemo well, at all. As a matter of fact , she ended up hospitalized a few days after her treatment because of a number of things that went wrong. She has only had one treatment and she already started losing hair. We shaved her head a few days ago , and the woman is still beautiful. She receives her next treatment on August 23rd which just so happens to be my baby sisters first day of high school [ahhh!] , my first day of college , AND the day my sister and brother in law move to South Carolina. Very emotional day for my family , but if I've learned anything about us throughout all of this , it's that we can tackle anything together.

Prayers would be much appreciated for 23rd as far as chemo goes.

Lots of love <3
- Alex

6 comments:

  1. Alex:

    I am so glad you are blogging. You're a brave, wonderful, smart, funny, young woman who has a story to tell. And our family looks forward to hearing that story unfold bit by bit.

    You are now a part of our family. We love you.

    Kent Kingery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Alex. I love you, girl. I wish I could be as strong as you. Like my dad said, you're apart of my family. Always will be, no matter what. You are amazing, darling!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos on the Blog. Just write what you think and how you feel - people will take time to read it. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, babe. You are truly amazing. I love you & am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love you much my dear friend.
    keep blogging. we got it lookin cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete