Thursday, September 9, 2010

Love others. Love yourself.

  It has been two years today since my friend Stephen committed suicide. I don't know if anyone could have stopped him from doing what he did , but I know I don't want anyone else to go through anything so horrible.

There's an organization called To Write Love On Her Arms [TWLOHA]. People wear their shirts all the time, and write "love" on their arms every few months but not everyone knows the story behind the organization and why they're wearing that shirt or writing love on their arms. To Write Love on Her Arms is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. They have a really cool story , and it's faith based. If you want to read their story / buy merchandise now that you know what exactly this is , visit http://www.twloha.com/ .


1 Corinthians 6 : 19-20     "You are not your own , you were bought with a price."
I repeat :YOU WERE BOUGHT WITH A PRICE. A pretty large one at that .. 
Jesus died so that we could experience LIFE !   "You are not your own." - who are we to decide when we should leave this earth ? It's like slapping Jesus in the face. 
If you're still alive, there's a reason ! 


Ironically enough , it's suicide prevention week. Crazy.  
Everyone can do their part. Reach out to someone this week. And don't let it stop there, continue even after this week is over. I had no idea Stephen was going to do what he did to himself , but I know that if we all knew what was going on in his head , we would have tried to help. So I'm starting to reach out now , before those awful thoughts enter another person's mind and it's too late. 


The Bible tells us to love one another as we love ourselves. If you're totally content with your life , share that feeling with others ! 
John 15:17-"This is my command : Love one another."
It's hard to love others when you don't love yourself. So build someone up today. 
Sometimes it can be tougher than it sounds . At times the people you love the most are the ones we fight with on a pretty regular basis. But try making an effort , it's the first step :)


Don't let today pass by without telling or showing the people you love how much you care.

1 comment:

  1. Alex. Why do you always make me feel like I'm going to cry. I love you! Just thought I'd tell you because I do :)
    I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope you NEVER have to go through something like that again...

    ReplyDelete