Thursday, September 2, 2010

Celebrating the life of Stephen Daniel Barrios.

 The last five words anyone heard from you before you left the earth were "I don't hate my life." You said you weren't strong enough to handle the world anymore. Leaving was probably the most selfish thing you could do, and you even said that yourself. Now every September 2nd and 9th those strange feelings come back knowing I'll never see you again , not even in Oklahoma , until I meet up with you in heaven.

Today is your birthday, I'm trying to make the best out of it by thinking happy thoughts.When you lived with Zach and were one of my neighbors is definitely something I remember. I would walk down the street and see you skateboarding outside and then I would come home and you would leave me a comment saying how lame I was because nobody "takes walks" anymore. Spanish would have been lifeless without you, just ask anyone in our class. We would always share random stories about Jackie & Becca and freak out because we both lived in Oklahoma at some point. Anytime anybody heard the word "YAHEW!" in the hallways of churchill, along with your many other phrases, they knew Stephen was comin. It's just the way you were.



I won't ever forget September 9th. The night before , back when we all had myspace , you posted a blog with extreme hints that you were planning on leaving. I read it and immediately texted Becca&Jackie. I didn't know whether to believe it or if it was some kind of cruel joke. Nobody knew what was going on and whenever anyone tried to call you , you didn't say a word. I barely slept that night just wondering. Throughout the day Zach was keeping everyone posted and sending texts. Then after my first period , I remember I was in dance , I looked at my phone and I had a text from Becca. "He's gone." - my heart sank Stephen. You hurt so many people , but I know you're with God now and you're happy. And I'm so thankful that the only memories I have with you are good ones.
^ That picture is the only one I still have of us. You're part of the reason I take so many pictures , so just in case anyone else decides to leave me , I'll have more memories of them.

There's a reason I'm writing this on your birthday instead of .. that one day. I'm celebrating your life ! And the joy you brought to everyone , I'm looking at the positive side. Thank you for being my friend Stephen :)

"I know I saw a light in you, as we walked we were talking I didn't say half the things I wanted to...I can't help it if you look like an angel."

1 comment:

  1. My gosh Alex, so sorry about your friend. Very touching story!

    ReplyDelete